Toner is a crucial part of any basic skin care routine. Here’s a simple step-by-step guide on how to apply toner properly.
How to Apply Toner Correctly to Reap the Benefits for Your Skin
Step 1: Wash Your Face Thoroughly
Wash your face with a gentle cleanser and pat dry with a clean towel. Many choose to skip this step, thinking that a toner can do whatever cleansing a facial cleanser can do. Cleansing is an important step as it washes away most of the dirt on your face. Make sure that the natural toner you use will not cause any reaction when paired with your cleanser.
Step 2: Pick a Natural Toner for Your Skin Type
Not all skin textures are created equal, so you should pick the toner that is the best for your skin type. You should also factor your budget into your selection, as there are many natural skin care products out there. Here are some popular natural toners:
- Apple Cider Vinegar – balances the natural pH of the skin and removes dead skin cells
- Camphor with Rose Water – helps treat acne-prone skin
- Cucumber – helps brighten dull skin and minimize pimples
- Purple Tea – helps even out skin tone and oxygenation of the skin by fighting free radical scavengers
How to Make a Homemade Purple Tea Toner:
- Simply brew purple tea — a strong extract is better.
- Add lemon squeeze.
- Let the concoction cool for a bit before placing into a small container.
- If the consistency is too sticky or strong for your preference, dilute with water.
Step 3: Apply a Small Amount of Toner Onto a Cotton Ball or Pad
Squirt a few drops of toner onto a cotton ball or a specialized cotton pad. Be sure not to put too much as the toner can drip into your eyes and cause irritation. Apply just enough so that a sufficient amount of product glides and remains on your face.
Step 4: Move the Cotton Ball in Small Upward Circles
Apply the toner by rotating the cotton ball in circles around your face. Pay special attention to your chin, nose, hairline, and cheeks, as they accumulate the most dirt on your face. Avoid getting toner in sensitive areas of your face such as your eyes, mouth, and nostrils. Repeat the process, renewing the cotton ball until dirt and debris is no longer visible. This is recommended especially when removing makeup.
Step 5: Wait for the Toner to Dry
Wait for about a minute for the toner to dry before applying the next step of your beauty routine — usually a moisturizer or serum.
Benefits of Facial Toner
Facial toners used to have a reputation for drying out the skin too much. Many toners are customized to suit those with oily skin, while toners for dry skin will have ultra-hydrating ingredients. Here are some of the added benefits toner can give you:
- Pore shrinkage – Thanks to its oil blotting properties, facial toners can help minimize the appearance of pores by smoothing them out.
- Prevents ingrown hairs – Many toners contain exfoliating ingredients that help gently peel back the stubborn skin that shelters ingrown hairs.
- Restores skin’s pH balance – Cleansing the face with soap often throws off the acidic balance, which leads to oil glands working overtime to compensate. A facial toner helps restore the pH balance of your face quickly by counteracting the alkaline effects of soap.
- Protects and moisturizes – Facial toners help close pores as well as tighten the gaps between cells, which reduces the likelihood of impurities penetrating into the skin. Many facial toners are also humectants, meaning they help bind more moisture to the skin.
Still unsure how to apply toner? Here’s a quick facial toner overview from Beauty Within:
With the advent of 10-step Korean beauty routines, it’s important to look at your own skin care routine and appreciate how each and every step has specific benefits for your skin. As the saying goes, “trust the process.” Trust the skin care process, and you will reap the rewards of clear and healthy skin.
Do you have a favorite toner you can recommend to others? Share them with us in the comments below!
Up Next: 11 Best Face Serums for Any Budget