Dunaliella salina extract is a powerful skin care ingredient from under the sea. Keep reading to learn all about it.
In this article:
- What Is Dunaliella Salina Extract?
- When Was Dunaliella Salina Extract Discovered?
- Why Is Dunaliella Salina Extract Used in Skin Care?
- Who Should Use Products with Dunaliella Salina Extract?
- How Can You Incorporate It in Your Skin Care Regimen?
- Where Can You Get Skin Care Products with Dunaliella Salina?
Everything You Need to Know About Dunaliella Salina Extract
What Is Dunaliella Salina Extract?
Dunaliella salina is a special type of microalga. Just like other forms of algae, it is an aquatic organism that grows in salt water.
What makes it so special is that it actually thrives in harsh environmental conditions, such as high temperatures. In order to survive and multiply in the extreme heat, it produces large quantities of carotenoids.
What is a carotenoid? It is a plant chemical that helps plants absorb the raw materials they need for photosynthesis. It’s also the substance that causes the yellow, orange, and red pigmentation in plants.
The high level of carotenoids allows it to absorb large amounts of beta-carotene and photolyase. These high concentrations of beta-carotene and photolyase jam pack this special microalga with many health and skin benefits.
When Was Dunaliella Salina Extract Discovered?
A French botanist, Micahel Felix Dunal, discovered this powerful microalga. He discovered it in France in 1838.
He first saw the microalga in a salt evaporation pond in Montpellier, France. Later on, his discovery was made official in a paper written by E.C. Teodoresco in 1905.
Why Is Dunaliella Salina Extract Used in Skin Care?
Dunaliella salina extract is an ideal ingredient in skin care because it’s full of active ingredients. Here are some Dunaliella salina benefits:
- Protects Against Free Radicals – Dunaliella salina extract is rich in antioxidants, which help fight free radicals that damage skin and cause it to age prematurely.
- Helps Fight Infections – It contains vitamins, proteins, and essential fatty acids which strengthen the skin’s immunity against infections.
- Renews Skin – The beta-carotene found in this algae helps produce vitamin A, which the body uses to produce retinol. The body then uses retinol for new skin cell production.
- Helps Keep Skin Supple – Retinol also helps the skin maintain it’s suppleness. When skin is low in retinol, it tends to feel dry.
- Enhances Skin Elasticity – Retinol also stimulates collagen production. Collagen increases skin’s elasticity and prevents the appearance of premature wrinkles.
- Nourishes Skin – It’s rich in minerals such as potassium, calcium, glycerin, and magnesium which help nourish, refresh, and protect skin cells.
- Moisturizes Skin – Just like other microalgae, it also contains polysaccharides. Such compounds make good ingredients in cosmetic formulations.
Who Should Use Products with Dunaliella Salina Extract?
Many people would benefit from incorporating Dunaliella salina extract in their skin care regimen. However, people with the following skin care issues would benefit from it the most:
- Dry skin – may benefit from the moisturizing properties of the polysaccharides
- Dull and tired skin – may benefit from the nourishing minerals and retinol which helps keep the skin bright and supple
- Wrinkling or sagging skin – may benefit from the collagen-producing properties of retinol
- Skin with hyperpigmentation – may benefit from the skin-renewing properties of the retinol
The biotechnological application of their peptide and antioxidant contents on photo-induced aging has been explored by a study on marine microalgae. On the same note, another study published in the International Journal of Agriculture & Biology made a more specific study on the antioxidant and anti-aging components of Dunaliella salina.
How Can You Incorporate It in Your Skin Care Regimen?
The best way to incorporate Dunaliella Salina in your skin care regimen is by finding a product that uses it as an active ingredient. Keep in mind though, Dunaliella salina is just one of the ingredients in your skin care product.
You need to make sure that it’s paired with the right ingredients to maximize its skin care benefits. One great ingredient that compliments it is purple tea extract.
Just like Dunaliella salina, purple tea leaves grow in extreme environmental conditions. It grows in the highlands of Kenya, Africa.
The intense exposure to the sun allows these mighty tea leaves to produce high levels of antioxidants, polyphenols, and anthocyanins. These components offer the following skin care benefits:
- Fight free radicals
- Brighten skin tone
- Stimulate collagen production
- Reduce redness and inflammation
Both purple tea leaves and Dunaliella salina are rich in antioxidants. They also contain other nourishing properties that help promote cell repair and renewal—what more could you ask for in a skin care product?
Where Can You Get Skin Care Products with Dunaliella Salina?
A great skin care product with Dunaliella salina extract and purple tea extract is Purple Tea Rapid Eye. It’s an instant eye serum that addresses fine lines, wrinkles, and eye bags.
Remember the skin around your eyes is different from the rest of your face. It’s more sensitive and prone to skin aging.
This is why experts recommend using a separate product for the skin around your eyes—it requires more TLC and regular facial moisturizer won’t cut it. You need a product that’s specially formulated with the right dose of active ingredients.
Purple Tea Rapid Eye combines the skin care benefits of purple tea leaf and Dunaliella salina microalga. While long-term use is recommended for best results, it’s so potent that you may see results in just a couple of minutes after applying it!
It’s important to understand the ingredients in your skin care products. Knowing how they work and what they do will help you choose the right products for your unique skin care needs.
Now that you’ve learned all about Dunaliella salina, you know that it offers many skin care benefits and it’s even better when it’s paired with other active ingredients. This powerful microalga extract and the purple tea leaf extract makes the perfect anti-aging combination!
Have you tried the powerful combination of purple tea leaves and Dunaliella salina extracts on aging skin? Share your experience with us in the comments section below!