If you’ve been experiencing unusual hair fall, perhaps its time to go deep into the causes of hair loss in women and finally address what’s causing your hair problems. Learn more about the top causes of hair loss here.
In this article:
- Excessive Hair Styling
- Tight Hairstyles
- Intense Physical or Emotional Stress
- Vitamin B12 Deficiency
- Sudden Weight Loss
9 Causes of Hair Loss in Women You Should Know
1. Excessive Hair Styling
Styling the hair is popular for most ladies, and this is one of the common causes of hair loss in women. Hair dryers, flat irons, and hot curlers are the usual styling tools, and the problem with these is they cause heat damage, resulting in hair falling out.
The case is the same for hair products such as hair dye, hairspray, and mousse that contain harmful chemicals. Your hair might look gorgeous with those bleached curls, but you won’t be able to sport that cute ‘do when you suffer from sudden hair loss in the future.
How to Prevent Hair Loss Caused by Hairstyling:
- Use a hair coloring product made with natural ingredients if you need to dye your hair.
- Use a heat protectant before using curling or straightening irons to prevent your hair from getting fried.
- Avoid frequent hair relaxing and permanent waving as much as possible.
- Give your hair a break from styling each week.
2. Tight Hairstyles
Who doesn’t love a good ponytail? Your scalp!
As much as we all love tying our hair up when we’re too lazy to pick up a comb, a tight ponytail can actually make your hair fall out!
Hairstyles that pull the strands from the scalp too much can cause inflammation in your follicles, leading to gradual hair loss. Braids and cornrows are also possible causes of female hair loss.
How to Prevent Hair Loss Caused by Tight Hairstyles:
- Give your hair a break by letting it down from time to time.
- Use fabric-made hair ties instead of elastic bands.
- Don’t tie your hair too tight, especially when it’s wet.
If you think having dandruff is no big deal, then think again. Apart from having to brush off those white flakes on your shoulder, you have to worry about your dry scalp, too.
The itchy feeling caused by dandruff results in inevitable scratching. When you scratch your scalp too much, you also risk damaging your hair follicles.
Hair loss will be hard to combat if you don’t deal with your dandruff first.
How to Prevent Hair Loss Caused by Dandruff:
- Use an all-natural shampoo.
- Rinse your hair and scalp thoroughly when bathing.
- Applying tea tree oil to the scalp works wonders.
- Use a hair mask to keep the scalp moisturized.
- Don’t stay out too much in the sun.
4. Intense Physical or Emotional Stress
It’s hard to stop stress, especially when you have a deadline to catch or a problem to solve. You should probably learn to take a chill pill sooner or later because a high level of stress is also one of the causes of hair loss in women.
This condition is called telogen effluvium, which points to stress, shock, or sudden trauma causing hair to fall out. It disrupts the hormone levels in the body, preventing the natural hair growth on your scalp.
How to Prevent Hair Loss Caused by Physical and Emotional Stress:
- Set aside time every day to meditate and relax.
- Write down the tasks you need to accomplish so you can get a clear vision of what your day would look like. This may help prevent panic attacks and overwhelming anxiety.
- Surround yourself with positive energy rather than negativity.
If anyone in your family suffers from hair loss, there’s a good chance you will be the next victim. Hereditary-related baldness in women happens more often than you think.
Of course, not all cases of thinning hair in women sprout from genetics. Still, be wary if most of your family members are wearing toupees or using multiple hair growth products to maintain a full head of hair.
How to Prevent Hair Loss Caused by Genes:
- Trace your family tree to determine how dominant the balding trait is in your family.
- Start taking the necessary steps to decrease the chances of hair loss.
It may be hard to accept, but aging is one of the causes of hair loss in women. As we grow older, hair growth becomes slower.
Our bodies are unable to regenerate quickly when we age, which can explain why your hair isn’t as thick as it used to be. Along with hair loss, the strands become dry and turn gray, losing the bounce they once had when you were younger.
How to Prevent Hair Loss Caused by Aging:
- Start observing precautionary measures as soon as you can.
- Take vitamins, eat healthily, and exercise regularly.
7. Vitamin B12 Deficiency
Hair follicles have the fastest growing cells in the human body. But, the follicles on our scalp can only continue to play their role in hair growth if they get enough blood.
The lack of vitamin B12 leads to anemia, a red blood deficiency. Apart from its other negative health implications, not having enough red blood cells may lead to balding.
If the body doesn’t have enough red blood cells, to begin with, then the hair follicles won’t have anywhere to source their nutrients from.
How to Prevent Hair Loss Caused by Vitamin B12 Deficiency:
- Incorporate foods such as tuna, trout, beef, and sardines into your diet.
- Take vitamin B12 supplements.
Hair loss does not occur during pregnancy. In fact, the increased amount of estrogen in the body actually prevents balding.
Estrogen Definition: A sex hormone that promotes the maintenance and development of female characteristics in the body.
But, after delivery, your estrogen levels go back to normal. This sudden drop in hormone levels is also one of the causes of hair loss in women.
The hair loss your hormones prevented during pregnancy may cause your hair to fall out all at once after delivery. Luckily, your body will go back to normal once you adapt to regular hormone levels.
How to Prevent Hair Loss Caused by Pregnancy:
- Maintain a healthy diet especially after your pregnancy.
- Eat estrogen-boosting foods such as seeds, soy products, olives, and chickpeas, among others.
9. Sudden Weight Loss
Weight loss does not directly cause hair loss in women. Rather, the stress and lack of nutrients associated with it are what causes balding.
Not consuming enough proteins, minerals, and vitamins damages your hair follicles. It’s not bad to suddenly lose weight.
Just make sure to do so using regular exercise and healthy supplementation – not some extreme low-calorie dieting fad.
How to Prevent Hair Loss Caused by Sudden Weight Loss:
- Exercise regularly. It doesn’t have to be a complete workout regimen; a simple bodyweight circuit program should be enough.
- Create a healthy diet with protein, fiber, carbs, and healthy fats.
Other Tips to Prevent Hair Loss Naturally
Hair loss can be quite alarming, but there are a few natural ways to prevent it.
- Use Purple Tea
Taking this all-around, holistic supplement is a great way to prevent hair loss in women. It soothes the scalp and oxygenates the skin that leads to healthier hair follicles.
- Get Rid of Bad Habits
Apart from the other bad effects of smoking, it can promote balding. When you smoke, you reduce the amount of blood that circulates through your body.
Try talking to your doctor about how you can gradually stop smoking. On the other hand, if you don’t smoke, then it’s better not to start.
- Be Kind to Your Hair
Even if you’ve been eating healthily, your hair won’t maintain its healthy condition if you don’t take care of it. Go easy on the styling tools and products and make sure to give your hair and scalp some TLC through oil massage and hair masks.
Use a wide-tooth comb for wet hair; never a brush. Make sure you comb lightly and not fight through any tangles; just be gentle.
Learn more about how to stop hair loss with these home remedies from Natural Cures:
These are just some of the causes of hair loss in women you should give special attention to. Overall, remember that stress and an unhealthy diet can really take its toll on your health.
To prevent hair loss, follow a high-nutrient diet and make sure to use the right organic supplements. It might seem scary, but with the right natural remedies, you can prevent hair loss.
Are you experiencing hair loss? Try skincare products with purple tea and let us know if it works for you in the comments section below!